The leaves have changed and we have entered the season where it is too cold in the morning for shorts, but too hot for your sweater at noon.
Fall is here!
With the changing tempertures comes some additional chores that need to be done to help maintain your home. Check out this blog post from Alberta New Home Warranty for a short checklist on how to seal your home from the elements.
Something you may want to also consider doing before closing your home up for the winter is a 'Reverse Spring Clean'. Here is a list of things you may want to deep clean before the snow flies:
1. Baseboards - After having the windows and doors open all summer, your baseboards have likely accumilated a layer of dust and dirt. Baseboards can be dusted with a swiffer or rag, and cleaned using warm water, dish soap, and vinegar.
2. Walls - After months of playing outside and the occasional rain shower, your walls are likely covered in little black marks. Like the baseboards, your walls can be washed down using warm water and mild detergent, and be sure to pay attention to high-touch areas like light switches. PRO TIP: If you have scuffs or marks that are difficult to get off, try dippng your damp rag in dry baking soda and gently rubbing it over the area. Rinse with warm water when done.
3. Doors - Much like your walls, your doors are another common area for those dirty fingerprints to accumulate. Mild dish soap, warm water, and a non-abrassive sponge will work well to take off the smudges.
4. Dishwasher Filter - Here is one you may not think of often! Most filters are located in the bottom of dishwasher underneath the lower rack, and you can located instructions on how to remove it in your manual. Give it a good rinse with water, and scrub away any stubborn scum or buildup before returning your dishwasher.
5. Washing Machine Filter - If there is lot's of buildup you should give it a quick wipe with pepertowl or scrub with a toothbrush. If you are able to remove the lint screen you can soak it in warm water for 10 minutes to help remove any buildup. Before replacing the filter you should check the inside of the machine for any loose lint or debris.
Is there anything that you like to do to prepare for Fall? Let us know in the comments!